How does lifestyle improve the treatment of insomnia?
Left untreated, insomnia can lead to serious physical, mental and emotional disturbances; adopt a healthy lifestyle to effectively combat the effects of this disorder
Here are 10 helpful tips for people who want to have a restful and healthy sleep:
1. Avoid heavy meals, coffee, smoking, sweets and alcohol before bedtime, as they interact with the natural sleep cycle in a negative way.
2. Try to wake up every day at the same time, because a chaotic program is badly interfering with the biological clock.
3. Go to sleep with a relaxed state of mind, free from everyday problems or chores that need to be solved the next day.
4. Make your bedroom as comfortable and attractive as possible in order to relax and feel at peace.
5. Sleep in a comfortable position, use anatomic pillows and avoid sleeping on your stomach.
6. Before bedtime, ventilate the sleeping room, avoid excessive noise and light and make sure the temperature is within the proper limits.
7. If you have pets, do not allow them to sleep in bed with you because they will reduce the quality of your sleep.
8. Remove the plants inside the bedroom and do not sleep in freshly painted enclosures.
9. Before bed, make a hot shower and do something that relaxes you (aromatherapy, music, meditation, reading, etc).
10. Do not abuse sedatives, sleeping pills or painkillers and always consult a doctor before taking medication for insomnia.
In conclusion, make sure you keep a good schedule of your sleep, meal, work and leisure times. A lot of discipline, determination and motivation are necessary to fighting insomnia successfully. Do not underestimate the power of relaxing activities and stress-fighting techniques.